Glutes are the main power source for your golf swing so switching them on pre-round is vital!
Next round you play try this one out.
If you’d like to learn more, including other exercises you can do to warm up your Glutes before playing golf, keep reading.
Why Glute Warmups are Important for Golfers
The glutes are one of the largest muscle groups in the body and play a crucial role in golf performance. These muscles are responsible for hip extension, rotation, and stabilisation, which are all essential movements in a golf swing. When the glutes are not properly warmed up, they can become tight and weak, leading to poor golf swing mechanics and an increased risk of injury.
So, how can you ensure your glutes are ready to go the next time you hit the greens?
Below are some great exercises to warm up the glutes that anyone can try, regardless of their fitness or ability.
Incorporate your favorite ones into your warm-up routine before hitting the golf course and see the difference.
Glute Exercises for Golf Warmups
The glute bridge is a simple exercise that helps activate the glutes and improve hip extension. To perform a glute bridge:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground.
- Engage your glutes and lift your hips up towards the ceiling.
- Hold for a few seconds before lowering your hips back down to the ground.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions.
Fire hydrants are a great exercise for improving hip rotation and stabilization. To perform fire hydrants:
- Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Keeping your knee bent, lift one leg out to the side while keeping your hip level.
- Lower your leg back down to the starting position and repeat on the other leg.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions on each leg.
Clamshells are another great exercise for improving hip rotation and stabilization. To perform clamshells:
- Lie on your side with your legs bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your feet together and lift your top knee up towards the ceiling, keeping your feet touching.
- Lower your knee back down to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions on each side.
Summing Up: Why Glute Warmups are Important for Golfers
Proper warm-up exercises are essential to improve golf performance and prevent injuries. Including glute exercises in your golf warmup can help activate these important muscles and improve hip extension, rotation, and stabilisation. Incorporate these glute exercises into your warm-up routine before hitting the golf course to ensure that you are playing at your best and reducing your risk of injury.
Jason, our lead physiotherapist, is one of just three TPI Level 3 Medical Certified Practitioners in the greater Sydney region. Learn more about how he can help you improve your golf swing, perform at your peak, and keep you out on the course for longer, pain-free.
More Information About Glute Warmups for Golfers: Switch On & Activate Your Glutes Pre-Round to Improve Your Swing Power
For more information about Glute Warmups for Golfers: Switch On & Activate Your Glutes Pre-Round to Improve Your Swing Power, or any other physio related questions you might have please get in touch.